Sunday, April 26, 2009

Birthday Black-out!!!

So last month,I celebrated my birthday on a day when we had no running water and though we survived it, it was definitely an experience I'd rather not go through again. As luck would have it, we celebrated my mother-in-law's birthday this past Saturday with another misadventure.

The day started nicely enough, warm and sunny, but then BAM!, strong wind and heavy rain struck just before dinnertime and we lost power. Thankfully, dinner was mostly prepared, with the Roast Beef done to perfection because my carnivorous family prefers our roast to be done rare anyways. Since we have a gas stove, we finished off the rest of the meal easily on the stove-top while there was still some daylight left.

For the rest of the evening, we ate by candlelight and enjoyed each others' company the good ole fashion way, by chit-chatting the night away. With no electricity, we felt lost at first, but Dick still had power left on his IPOD. So we passed the evening yakking, while listening to favourite tunes from the 60's, 70's and the 80's on his IPOD.

The kids also had a fun evening as they played a game of Scrabble by candlelight. It was like Earth Hour all over again. I sure hope we don't experience Blackout conditions or lack of running water too often, but I'm afraid with extreme climate change being a reality, we will likely have more days like this come up again. A few hours or even a day or two without power or running water, I think I can handle. But can we handle these conditions if it goes on for days, weeks or even months? Very scary thought indeed!

Oh well, Happy Birthday to Dick's Mom! It was certainly an evening to remember. I'm sure that we will reminisce about this evening fondly in years to come!!!


Here's the Orange Cake with Chocolate decorations Derek and I made for Dick's Mom.

My camera-shy boys hanging out with their cousin.

They played Scrabble by candlelight and flaslight

It's always nice catching up with my sister-in-law.


Dick's mom making a birthday wish as she blows out the candles, putting us back into total darkness again.

One Big Happy Family!

No comments: