Saturday, May 16, 2009

Two for the Price of One

I was browsing the internet recently and stumbled upon a Craft site with a pattern for sewing a Peasant Blouse. I remembered I had sewn one of those back in my high school days and I absolutely loved it. It was one of my most favourite blouses but ever since I moved out of my childhood home, I forgot all about it until a couple of years ago when I longed to make another just like it.

As luck would have it, I found this pattern for free on the internet. My next step was to find the right fabric. Since I haven't had the opportunity to browse freely in a fabric shop, I decided to raid my closet to see what old fabric I could reuse. So here it is, a hand-me-down dress that I never did wear. It's an April Cornell dress too. I like the style but I didn't like the length as the hemline fell right around the mid-calf for me. I prefer dresses to be either just a little bit above the knees or right around the ankles.




So I decided to take a chance and try to make two outfits out of one by cutting the dress in half. The top half was easy. I just had to re-hem it and I easily made my self a cute little blouse. That left me with the bottom half to fashion myself a peasant blouse. Can I do it? Well, I gave it a shot and even though it was a bit of a tight fit, I managed to do it. It didn't even take that long as it only took me half the day to complete both blouses. Two for the Price of One! Actually, since it was a hand-me-down, I really got Two for the Price of Free!

For anyone interested in making their own Peasant Blouse, please click here.

Have fun!


After strategically cutting apart the bottom half of the dress, I came up with this design. There was even a small strip and a bunch of buttons left over for some other future project(s).

Here are my 2 finished projects.


My April Cornell Dress just became a Short little blouse. I'm pretty sure I will wear it more as a blouse rather than as a mid-length dress.

And here's my tight fitting Peasant Blouse. Now that I experimented with the pattern, I'm going to make my next one a looser fitting one.

No comments: