Friday, April 8, 2011

Usagi Yojimbo & Gennosuke

I'm so addicted to sewing plushies now. I think it's because the act of hand stitching, much like knitting, offers a meditative quality. I'm in my happy place when I'm creating something lovable with my own two hands. Sewing plushies is a simple act, but it also allows for the mind to focus on the detailing. So, step by step, a cute stuffed toy is being created. Dick's latest request was to make him a Gennosuke plushie.

Gennosuke is a Rhino bounty hunter found in the Usagi Yojimbo comic book series. Even though this comic book series is based in feudal Japan, which means there's a lot of killing and beheading going on, I actually did enjoy reading some of the stories and I absolutely love the Artwork! Why? Because it features a maniacal sword-wielding (fierce, yet cute looking) bunny as the main character. Yes, I managed to cutefy both of these two samurai characters and Dick still approved.

Here's the official website for Usagi Yojimbo: http://www.usagiyojimbo.com/

Here's Usagi Yojimbo, the main character. He's a masterless samurai (Ronin) bunny wandering Japan's countryside. He's not usually this happy looking, but this is my take on him.

Side view.

Back view.
His other side.

This is Gennosuke. Dick likes him because he's a bit of a rogish character. Whenever Gen gets together with Usagi for some ramen and drinks, he often takes off, after piling on the food and leaves Usagi stuck with the dining bill.

Side view.

Back view.



His other side.


Good times for Gen & Usagi.

Dick insisted that I make swords for them because they would be incomplete without these weapons.

Here are the two buddies roaming around aimlessly in the woods.

No comments: